Stamina is drained by any action other than running or sneaking around.
These following activities reduce Stamina instantly when used (the exact amount varies in each activity)
- Jumping / vaulting over objects and walls
- Crouching down / Dodging attacks
- Fighting: melee attacks, Utility Skills, Defensive Skill, Special Attack
These following activities drains Stamina over time
- Sprinting. For simple wording, the speed at which Stamina is drained when sprinting is temporarily theorized as 8 Stamina/sec (4/sec with Marathon Special Technique). Characters that are encumbered or carrying a rucksack have their Stamina drained three times as fast, or roughly 24 Stamina/sec (12/sec with Marathon).
- Using the Focus Aim Special Technique.
- When the character engages in physical activities, the blue Stamina bar drops, leaving behind a yellow trail.
- Only after the character ceases all stamina-draining activities, the yellow trail shortens and disappears entirely.
- After that, the bar starts regenerating.
- Characters with Reflexes trait regenerates Stamina faster.
- Characters with Bad Back trait regenerates Stamina 50% slower when encumbered. Those with Bum Knee trait regenerates Stamina 50% slower when crouched.
Stamina constantly regenerates, even when the character engages in physical activities (i.e when fighting, sprinting). The regeneration rate is at a varied pace, depending on player action.
- At an ideal condition, Stamina regens at 16 Stamina/sec.
- When sprinting (unencumbered), Stamina regens at 8 Stamina/sec. When sprinting (encumbered), Stamina drains at 8 Stamina/sec.
Reduced Max Stamina Edit
After exploring, the character gets tired, having their Max Stamina reduced. Each level of tiredness reduces their Max Stamina by 20%. Characters recover from tiredness by:
- Resting (the player switches to another character)
- Using a stimulant (temporary)
- Using Words of Inspiration or Words of Encouragement radio call.
- Experiencing an "I'm glad you're here" positive reaction with another survivor (random event)
Also, certain injuries can also reduce maximum Stamina. Rest in a Medical Area is advised to get the character back top shape.
Raising Max StaminaEdit
Maximum Stamina is raised by
- Improving Cardio skill: each level adds 5 Stamina.
- Sleeping Area: 10 bonus Stamina for everyone (permanent - if the number of beds is greater than number of survivors)
- Cooking Area - Prepare a Feast: 10 bonus Stamina for everyone (temporary)
- Training Area: 10 bonus Stamina for everyone (permanent). Activating Fitness Regiment adds an additional 10 (temporary).
- For simple wording, the speed at which Stamina is drained when sprinting is temporarily theorized as 8 Stamina/sec (it's the same for all characters).
- Sprinting inside a home site does not drain Stamina
- Sick characters get tired faster.